Note:

This blog is an ongoing story. Please start reading it from the very first post! :)
I'd appreciate it a LOT if you followed me ^-^

Pages

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

3:Waking

I set three steaming plates of leftover pasta on the table and went to fetch Finch who had finally gotten the nerve to stand up and look at the few photographs on the wall. He touched a black and white one and probably didn't realize my presence.
"He's my brother." I murmured. Finch jumped, startled. "He's gone now though.." I trailed off. He opened his mouth to speak but I stopped him. "Dinner's on the table. Do you want to wake her up?" I smiled. He nodded and called to her, gently shaking her arm. She stirred and quickly came to waking.
"Where the hell are we Finch?" She asked, a little frantic. "Did you break int-" Her eyes found me and she fell silent. I returned her gaze, respectively. "Who are you?" She asked quietly.
"I am Alistor. This is my home." I half laughed, smiling.

***

He was a strange boy. Standing so casually yet speaking in such a formal matter. His eyes were a brilliant blue, and his skin pale, but his hair was even more odd. It was jet black, moderately short, but long enough to cover his forehead and over his left ear was a striking flash of pure white hair which looked... natural?
"I have food for you in the kitchen." He continued. I thought his grin'd about break his cheeks if he smiled any harder. I blinked a few times and he came a few steps closer and put his hand out, for me to take. I stood up, rejecting it and paused a few moments. My muscles were sore... They always were after sleeping.
I was surprised though, it was the first time since I can remember not having a nightmare.

I followed him through his house stunned by how beautiful it was in its neatness. Absolutely everything was perfect. Hell, they had white carpet in the living room. It took a lot of nerve to have such a color I bet.
I was still so confused though, I didn't even know why we were here, though I wasn't about to give up a proper meal any time soon. Questions can be asked later. The smell of hot food drifted down the hall and I almost drooled. It smelled so amazingly good! His kitchen was just as nice as the rest of the house and he pulled out my chair like a gentleman. I hesitated, not used to it and stared at my food. Almost immediately I started wolfing it down but halfway through my third fork-full I felt a little guilty. I'd forgotten my manners. What if he wanted to say grace? Was I supposed to wait till Finch was sitting too? I put my fork down, frowning.
Finch was eating now too, relentless. Alistor noted the change and looked up from his plate, giving me a strange look.
"What's wrong? Don't you like it?" A troubled look passed over his face.
"No... It's good." He blinked at me. "I'm sorry."
"What for?" He laughed. I was caught off guard. He didn't notice?
"I-I was rude. I'm sorry. I shouldn't have just been so quick to eat like that." I looked down at my food, my stomach growling angrily. I wanted more. Stop talking and eat! it said. He laughed again.
"You're fine. Honestly, it needs to be eaten. You can have more after that if you wish, but we can't stay for too long. We'll have to get moving before my parents get home." He confused me even more.
"What?" I asked, utterly clueless. His face froze for a second and dropped.
"Oh... Um... my turn to apologize. Technically I'm on the streets. I'm leaving home, its too hard to stay here. I really haven't asked either of you properly and it's okay if you refuse, but would it be okay if i bunked with you both for a while? I can give you whatever you want from this house. I'm not coming back." I stared at him, shocked. He wanted to leave this wonder? I could see Finch getting aggravated at the other end of the table.
"You want to leave this?" He hissed. "This beautiful home with its warm carpet, its electricity, its warm beds? Its fridges, its ovens and stoves, its lights, its comfort for god's sake! We have nothing and you want to give this palace away?" I absently noted the Finch's knuckles going white, fists clenching while he raised his voice at the boy on the other end of the table. Alistor was staring at his hands which were neatly folded in front of him. "Hell. Alistor. You have no idea what you're in for. I thought maybe your parents didn't pay you enough attention or something, but this is just ridiculous. I'd kill for this home. You can't come with us." Finch said slamming an open hand on the table. His face was pink. Nobody spoke for what felt like years. Alistor stood up calmly, took his, Finch's and my plates to the sink and ran water over them. He didn't ask if we wanted any more but there wasn't much left in the bowl on the bench anyways. He stood back at the head of the table again, directly opposite Finch and spoke quietly, and smooth. His voice was like the ocean.
"Finch. I don't think you quite understand. You have no idea what my life is like." He closed his eyes for a few seconds and opened them again, pulling up slowly, once sleeve at a time. His pale arms were ravaged. They were tainted by patches of purple and red and a few cuts ran up his left arm, and at the top of his right. "These bruises have been done by him. This cut?" He ran his finger along the only fresh, slender cut that ran up his right arm. It wasn't deep, I could tell but it didn't matter. "Caused by him. These?" He ran  his fingers over the series of small, faint white lines on his left arm. "A result of him." He pointed to his head. "This mess? Shaped by both of them." Alistor was talking of his parents. I felt sorry for him and so sad knowing that I had known his situation once. Finch retired his struggle, speechless and sad.
"I'm sorry." He murmured, dropping his head. "I just assumed... Thank you so much for the food. You're welcome if you want to come with us, isn't he Else?" Finch turned to me with urging eyes. I nodded.
"Please do? I'd like for you to." I smiled. He smiled back, looking back at the floor and pulling his sleeves down. The room felt broken. This house was no longer beautiful, but a fake disguise for it. Alistor opened a few drawers and grabbed a plastic bag filling it with things like chips, beef jerky, chocolate bars and a few drinks. He opened a cupboard above the sink and pulled out a silver container which rattled with coins.
I watched as he carefully pulled out two slivers of paper. I held my breath as I realized it was one hundred dollars. He shoved it into his pocket and said it was for all of us.
"Shall we get moving? It's getting darker and the sooner the better." Alistor murmured quietly, almost to himself.
"I'm fine with that. Else, you cool?" Finch piped up. Protective puppy dog as always.
"Yea Finch. Let's go?" I replied. Alistor stood frozen, thinking.
"Wait. One second." I watched as the odd boy sped out of the kitchen and heard him go upstairs and rummage in one of the rooms. He appeared as quick as he arrived with a dark tie in his hand. On it were strange, navy blue and purple patterns that were almost invisible unless enough light shone on them. It confused me and I thought it silly to bring a tie to the place we were going, but I didn't ask about it yet.
Finch asked if we were ready to go and the boy nodded. We started out the door and I watched him grab a photo frame from the living room and slip it into his bag before locking the door.
This was going to be hard for him, I could tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment